Friday, April 1, 2011

Can't Beat 'Em? Join them!

It's time to clear the weeds. But do we know which are weeds and which are edibles? Oxalis (wood sorrel, sourgrass), dandelion, purslane and more. I was start thinking about this as I looked out my windows and all around the building there are yellow and white flowers just smiling at me. I can hear them even singing ... "I'm here for you and will always be here for you!" I think, Yes, you're right. But, I know your secret. And, I can include you, Ms Purslane, Mr Dandelion, and Madam Oxalis in my 350 Victory Garden Challenge because you all can be a challenge on your own. But, not this year! Into my food bin you go!

You're not just a pretty flower growing everywhere I can see! I can't beat you so I'll join you. So I invite you to join them.

Dandelion
All parts of the dandelion are edible:


  • Dandelion root can be roasted as a coffee-substitute, or boiled and stir-fried as a cooked vegetable.
  • Dandelion flower can be made into a wine, or boiled and stir-fried as a cooked vegetable.
  • Dandelion leaves can be boiled, as you would spinach, and used as a cooked vegetable, in sandwiches or as a salad green with some "bite." This was my favorite way to eat dandelion as a child as the main course of my summer outdoor tea parties with my neighbhood friends.
Purslane
Why pay money for fish oil when you can grow your own Omega-3 fatty acids as part of your edible landscaping? Just leave that weed to grow. And what weed would that be? Purslane, of course. It's an herb, a succulent herb!


To preserve purslane's juiciness for eating, harvest this delight in the morning or evening, when you won't have to compete with intense sunlight. Purslane can either be used raw in salads or sauteed as a side dish. In addition to the crispy texture you would expect from a succulent, purslane also has an interesting peppery flavor. Try it in a Purslane Pilaf or add it to a Yogurt Cucumber Salad.

Oxalis
And, then the dreded oxalis aka wood sorrel, sourgrass. it has a sour taste and is great on salads. It's medicinal property is a diuretic. It's been said that this plant helps with minor stomach complaints and nausea. Do not mistake this plant for sheep sorrel which is poisonous. You can tell the difference because sheep sorrel leaf is wider at the tip and the lobes are not typically aligned directly across from each other. You cannot see the veins in sheep sorrels leaf unless you light it from the back. The flowers are small and red. So beware. The edible oxalis bears yellow flowers.


  • Making a rhubarb pie? Add some Oxalis.
  • Try a Sour Grass Soup
Do you have a favorite weed to eat? Let us know about here. And, remember, if you can't beat 'em, join them!

Happy Weed Eating! This is not a April Fool's Joke!

Remember to take the 350 Victory Garden Challenge May 14-15 ... learn more.

Let's stay connected   

No comments:

Post a Comment